Who We Are
Who we are, what we do - Chief Executive, Peter Beggs
New Zealand Operations in Antarctica
Who We Are
Antarctica New Zealand is the government agency charged with carrying out New Zealand's activities in Antarctica supporting world leading science and environmental protection. Our vision is: Antarctica and the Southern Ocean - valued, protected, understood. We work to ensure that Antarctica's environment continues to be protected, that scientists are supported to find the answers to complex scientific questions, and that science outcomes are communicated back to policy makers and the public. With almost 60 years' experience working in Antarctica, New Zealand is recognised a leader in the international treaty system, and has a strong commitment to the natural environment.
Demystifying science through strong outreach and education is an essential part of our mandate.
Antarctica and the Southern Ocean: Valued, Protected, Understood.
Inspiring people to connect with Antarctica, through knowledge and collaboration.
People are the key to Antarctica New Zealand’s success. This includes permanent staff; fixed term and contract staff; seconded staff from the New Zealand Defence Force and our many strategic partners in Government, the science community and other national Antarctic programmes. We seek to create a high performance organisation underpinned by a culture of shared beliefs, in particular:
- We are passionate about what we do
- We care for each other and the environment
- We work together
- We act with integrity
- We aspire to the highest standards
Our Culture of Shared Beliefs
- Safety: We have an uncompromising commitment to each other’s safety.
- Sustainability: We will incorporate principles of social, environmental and financial sustainability into all that we do.
- Learning: Feedback is actively encouraged and we will learn from previous experiences to continuously improve our performance.
- Quality: We strive to deliver ever-improving value to our stakeholders.
Health, Safety & Environment
Antarctica New Zealand has an uncompromising commitment to the health, safety, the environment and wellbeing of our staff, contractors and visitors. Further information on this commitment is available in our Health and Safety Policy and our Environmental Policy.