Scott Base was constructed for New Zealand’s participation in the Commonwealth Trans- Antarctic Expedition (TAE) and was officially opened on 20 January 1957. It was also used to support a party of scientists participating in the International Geophysical Year (IGY). Although designed to last only a few years, the value of Antarctic Research was soon recognised and a base rebuilding programme began in 1976. Today only three of the original Scott Base buildings remain.
The TAE/ IGY hut, the first hut built by New Zealand in Antarctica, was listed in 2001 as a Historic Monument under the Antarctic Treaty. It contains material recording New Zealand’s involvement in Antarctica since 1957.
For more information on the history of the Ross Sea region, visit the Antarctic Heritage Trust